Nate Diaz has back-tracked on his proposal to fight Jake Paul over 10 rounds in their forthcoming exhibition boxing match. The former UFC star now says he is happy with just eight.

Diaz is set to make his boxing debut against 26-year-old Paul on August 5 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. It will be the Californian’s first bout of any discipline since he ended his 15-year career in UFC with a tap-out victory against Tony Ferguson last September.

His match-up with YouTuber Paul had originally been planned for eight rounds, but the 38-year-old MMA legend had requested that it be uplifted to 10 rounds instead.

Paul agreed to the request by Tweeting: “I guess he has good cardio. Ok Nathan, 10 rounds it is,” but in a sudden change of position, Diaz has taken the bout back to its original format by Tweeting: “I’m good with 8”.

That change of heart from Diaz could be good news for Paul, who has not yet been booked to fight a 10-round match in his professional boxing career.

Nevertheless, the chance of tact from Diaz comes as something of a surprise, given his earlier comments in which he claimed that Paul would be in trouble if he is unable to knock him out early doors.

As per the Mirror, Diaz said: “If I’m going to get knocked out, it’s going to be right off the gate or the next three f****ng rounds. But if not, then it’s like you’re in big trouble and I’m already willing to get knocked out. Are you willing to get tired and get your f****ng ass whipped and knocked the f*** out?

“You’re over here acting like ‘Oh, 15 rounds’ I’m like, you’re f****ng trying to blend it in so everybody forgets about it so it’s a joke and it goes away. Right now, let’s do 12 rounds. It doesn’t matter to me.”

Despite the aggressive tones of Diaz, Paul has remained relatively dignified in his approach to the summer fight so far, however, the pair did play out a tense face-off at a press conference last month and when Diaz left the stage at one point to go to the toilet, Paul pull out a clapping toy monkey and claim that it was representative of what goes in on Diaz’ head.

As the fight date begins to start to draw closer, Paul appears to be ramping up the pressure on his opponent and has revealed plans to record a ‘diss track’ in a music studio at his new £12.6m house in Puerto Rico.

“The music studio being here means it’s time to make a song again. Maybe two songs. I want to make a Nate Diaz diss track and maybe just another song, kind of like fresh out of London vibes,” he said.